In today’s world of social media and different apps, we think learning a new language is not necessary. However, it is an integral skill that comes with its perks. If you are here, you probably know and agree with all these. Even if you are here accidentally, stay with me as I introduce you to the world of learning a new language. Then maybe you will have the interest to learn a second language.
Duolingo is a great language learning site with 120 million users. There are about 21 different languages to learn. The best thing about Duolingo is that all their courses are free.
Languages Taught: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Turkish, Esperanto, Norwegian, Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, Welsh, Hebrew, Vietnamese and Hungarian.
- You can set weekly goals on the site. These goals will help your productivity.
- It is extremely easy to use. You will get a clear overview of the content and working options.
- They have explained the grammatical rules in every task.
Subscription: The Premium version costs $7 every month. The premium version allows an ad-free experience.
Babble is the most popular among learning foreign languages. The lessons here are a variety of translations of words, phrases, pictures.
Languages Taught: Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
- The layout is easy and user-friendly. It doesn’t overwhelm the users with unnecessary options.
- They include 15-minute lessons in their curriculum that you can input into your daily schedule. There is a My Activity module that will help track your progress.
- There are podcasts available for some languages.
Subscription: The premium version costs $27 for three-month, $46 for six-month, $75 for twelve-month.
Memrise focuses on vocabulary. There are courses in almost every language. The reason is they function through their community of users.
Languages Taught: There are 16 languages and combinations in the app. The website has many more languages.
- Memrise’s learning method follows a blend of memes and games. It creates funny associations with words to retain in memory.
- The courses are designed with the association of memes. There is a point associated with the creation and revision of lessons.
- Their space repetition algorithm calculates how you should review words. The apps then send reminders when it’s time to review.
Subscription: The monthly subscription costs $9 while an annual subscription is $140.
Busuu teaches 12 languages in total. It focuses on words to dialogues to questions. The audio is included which enables you to listen to the native’s pronunciation.
Languages Taught: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish.
- The lessons are designed through tasks involving a tropical theme.
- Every course has a separate travel course for people who need a quick basics for a trip abroad.
- You can engage in conversation with native speakers. These are learners of the site. They work by correcting texts created by those who study their native language.
Subscription: The premium subscription costs $6 every month.
Apparently, each of the sites mentioned above has its own features. So, select the one which resonates with your learning method and start-off with it!